You are going to love these healthy and delicious tarlets made with a gluten-free buckwheat pastry shell filled chocolate-tofu mixture instead of usual eggs and dairy, then served with a luscious cherry compote. The chocolate tofu filling can also be used for other desserts and sweet treats. It is simple to make at home, and you can add other flavours for different twists on the basic recipe.
|Buckwheat Crust||Chocolate Tofu Filling||Cherry Compote|
- Preheat oven to 200C/ 400F. Have ready four 10-cm tartlet pans or a 24-cm tart pan with removable bottom.
- Combine the buckwheat flour, finely ground sunflower seeds, psyllium husks, and salt in a large bowl. Rub in the cold butter with your fingers. Then, add in water, still mixing with your fingers, until the mixture forms a ball.
- Wrap dough with the waxed paper and chill for at least one hour or until firm before rolling. Remove the dough from the fridge and cut it into 4 pieces. Press the dough evenly into the prepared pans and prick the bottoms with a fork. Line each tartlet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake the tart shells for 10-12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove the pie weights or beans and return to the oven to bake for 5 minutes more, or until the crust is golden brown. Let the shells cool completely before filling and serving.
- In a blender, mix the silken tofu with vanilla and honey until smooth. Place chocolate chunks in a saucepan on low heat and melt just until smooth. Pour melted chocolate into the blender and continue blending until the mixture is completely smooth. Divide the filling into the prepared tartlet shells and chill at least 2 hours until firm.
- Mix the cornstarch and 1 tbsp cherry juice in a small bowl, set aside. Add the rest of cherry juice, cinnamon powder, sugar and cherries in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until cherries are softened and start to release juices, about 10 minutes. Once the compote has cooked, add the cornstarch mixture a bit at a time while stirring. Let the mixture simmer for a minute. Pour into a bowl and let cool before using.