This delicious poppy spelt streusel tray bake, adapted from Küchengötter, has a layer of low-fat Quark (German fresh cheese) oil bottom crust, that is topped with a homemade cinnamon flavoured poppy seed filling, then scattered with a crumbly spelt streusel. It is great for brunch or an afternoon tea/coffee break. Serve warm with some whipped cream if desired.
|Poppy Filling||Streusel Topping||Quark Oil Dough|
- In a large saucepan, whisk together 350 ml milk, sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, butter and ground poppyseeds. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Cover the saucepan and leave it at side for 10 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with 25 ml milk in a bowl until smooth. Stir into the poppy mixture and bring it to a simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg. Cover it with a plastic film and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Place butter, sugar, spelt flours and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix with your fingertips until crumbly. Chill the streusel in the fridge until ready to use.
- Line a 33-cm/13-inch baking tray with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
Place everything for the bottom in a mixing bowl. Using a handheld mixer fitted with dough hooks, stir until you have a smooth dough.
- Place the dough in the prepared baking tray and roll it out evenly. Spread the poppy mixture over the dough. Top with the prepared streusel. Place it in the middle rack of oven. Lower the over temperature to 180C/350F and bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.